The catch stitch is used in this tutorial to create a hem in a skirt or pants.
Skirt or Dress Pants in Need of a New Hem
Thread to match garment
Hand Sewing Needle
1) Carefully remove old hem with a seam ripper.
2) Measure existing hem to be duplicated on the new hem allowance.
3)Try on and mark with pins the length you would like. Press.
4)Mark down from crease the amount of the old hem allowance. Then cut the excess off.
5)Finish raw hem edge with a zig zag stitch to prevent unraveling.
6)Turn hem up and pin. Make sure to match side seams. To hold in place, baste hem. Now is a good time to try on the garment to confirm that the hem is correct and hangs evenly.
7)Thread a basic sewing needle to hand sew the hem. Knot ends together. With garment inside out and edge of hem allowance facing up, begin by placing needle under the seam allowance and pull it through. Then place needle under the hem allowance, and pull it through.
8) Keeping stitches on the loose side. Point needle to the left but moving to the right 1/4″ pick up one thread of the garment.
9) Then again with needle to the left and moving right 1/4″ take a small stitch in the hem allowance.
10) Continue sewing around the hem.
11) Finish by pulling needle through to the underside of the seam allowance. Tie the ends together into a double knot. Trim threads. Clip and remove basting stitches.
12) Newly hemmed skirt!
Link to my Video on YouTube
Link to my Video on Vimeo